Best Mattress for Couples: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
When buying a mattress it’s important to find a bed that is comfortable and supportive to you. But what do you do when you are sharing a mattress? Juggling more than one person’s needs can get difficult. In this guide, we’ll discuss the two main things to think about when buying a mattress for two people, as well as our Editors’ recommended best mattress for couples.
30 Seconds Summary: Best Mattress for Couples
- The Amerisleep AS3 is our Editors’ Choice as the best mattress for couples because it’s versatile enough to be comfortable for a majority of sleepers, even couples with different sleep styles.
- Our runner-up choice is the Zoma Mattress, an excellent memory foam mattress that focuses on body recovery. When you wake up on a Zoma Mattress, you should feel ready to give 100 percent during the day.
Best Mattresses for Couples
|Amerisleep AS3||Plant-based Bio-Pur® molds to your body to offer cushioning comfort. Plus, clinically proven HIVE® technology promotes healthy posture for a variety of sleeping positions.|
|Zoma Mattress||Top Triangulex™ layer features cooling gels and targeted support.|
|Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid||Plush foam top with Active Flex and bouncy coils to prevent sinkage.|
|Zoma Hybrid||Responsive Reactiv™ and pocketed coils keep couples lifted.|
|Vaya Mattress||Affordable two-layer foam mattress with excellent support and pressure relief.|
|Original Purple®||Features proprietary Purple Grid™ to relieve pressure points and isolate motion.|
|Avocado Green||Made with eco-friendly, organic materials and is perfect for green shoppers.|
The Editors at Sleep Junkie like the Amerisleep AS3 as the best mattress for couples. Amerisleep makes and sells five mattresses— AS1, AS2, AS3, AS4, and AS5. They design these beds for different sleep styles, so each bed varies in firmness and is suited for a specific sleeper.
Their AS3 is a medium firmness and is supposed to offer an even balance of comfort and support. Amerisleep’s AS3 is their best mattress for side sleepers, but they also recommend it to combination sleepers because of its adaptability.
Let’s look at what makes this bed great for couples:
- The first layer of the Amerisleep AS3 is 3 inches of Bio-Pur® foam. Their Bio-Pur® foam is more breathable than traditional memory foam and has the ability to contour to a variety of weights and body types. When you lay on this bed, the Bio-Pur® should hug your body’s curves to offer instant pressure relief, and also prevent motion from transferring throughout the mattress.
- Next, there is the company’s HIVE® technology. HIVE® offers targeted support and is broken up into five sections, so it can offer the right kind of support for each part of your body.
When you shop with Amerisleep, they offer free shipping, a 100-night sleep trial, and a 20-year warranty with each of their beds. Additionally, they frequently run promotions on their mattresses, so it’s easy to nab a deal.
During your sleep trial, you have the option to exchange your mattress for a different model or return it all together, if you find it’s not compatible with your sleep needs. Plus, they offer one of the longest warranties in the mattress industry, covering their product for 20 years.
Do you tend to wake up feeling tired, like you didn’t get the best night’s sleep that you possibly could? Then you might want to consider a Zoma Mattress. The Zoma Company focuses on mattresses that increase rejuvenation by promoting deep, uninterrupted sleep. Their target audience is athletes and other active people, but anyone can benefit from sleeping on the Zoma Mattress.
You’ll find three foam layers inside a Zoma Mattress:
- The top layer is 2 inches of gel memory foam with Triangulex™ technology. Zoma adds triangular cutouts to the mattress’s head and foot for better contouring. These cutouts increase pressure relief and airflow for a more comfortable sleep experience.
- The middle layer is 2 inches of Reactiv™ foam. As the name implies, Reactiv™ responds to your movements, providing just the right amount of pushback to support you without reducing the bed’s comfort.
- At the base is 7 inches of Support+ foam, a material that deters sagging. Support+ helps the Zoma Mattress withstand years of use.
Every Zoma Mattress includes a 100-night sleep trial, giving you a few months to make sure it’s the right mattress for you. You also have a 10-year warranty that protects against defects, such as sagging beyond 0.75 inches.
If you want to share a luxury mattress with your partner, you might want to consider the benefits of the AS5 Hybrid. The AS5 is the softest mattress Amerisleep offers, and the bouncy pocketed coils in the hybrid model will keep and your partner from sinking in too deeply. Sinkage is a common problem with soft mattresses, which Amerisleep addressed when it designed the AS5 Hybrid.
What makes this a luxurious mattress for couples? Let’s review its construction:
- The first layer is 3 inches of breathable and responsive Bio-Pur® foam.
- Next is Active Flex, a responsive material that limits sinkage. Active Flex doesn’t push back enough to disrupt the mattress’s soft feel, but it will keep you from misaligning your spine and waking up with back pain.
- The bed’s pocketed coils are wrapped to minimize motion transfer. Each coil reacts independently to your movements, instead of carrying the slightest shift you make across the mattress.
As with the AS3, every AS5 Hybrid includes free shipping, a 100-night sleep trial, and a 20-year warranty.
4. Zoma Hybrid
While many couples love the feel of memory foam, some find they miss the bounce that a traditional innerspring mattress provided. A hybrid mattress like the Zoma Hybrid is a good compromise, balancing pressure-relieving foam with As a bonus, a Zoma Hybrid includes many of the same recovery foam that the original Zoma Mattress is well known for.
There are four layers inside a Zoma Hybrid:
- The first layer is 2 inches of gel foam, for pressure relief and temperature regulation. This layer contains segmented cutouts boost pressure relief under your head, shoulders, and legs while also maintaining firm back support.
- Next is 2 inches of Reactiv™ foam. As we discussed, Reactiv™ prevents you from sinking in too deeply or becoming trapped in your mattress.
- Most of the bed’s support comes from the third layer, which is 7 inches of pocketed coils. The coils are wrapped in fabric to decrease motion transfer and muffle any sounds the coils might make. Pocketed coils prevent your partner’s movements from disturbing your rest and vice versa.
- The final layer is an inch of stiff, supportive foam. This foam base helps the bed maintain its structure by preventing the coils from sagging.
A Zoma Hybrid includes free shipping and returns, a 100-night sleep trial, and a 10-year warranty.
If you and your partner are shopping for a budget-friendly mattress, our top recommendation is the Vaya Mattress. A queen size Vaya Mattress costs only $599 and a king size is $799. It’s more than a fair price, as you’ll receive a plush 12-inch mattress that blends bouncy support with pressure-relieving softness.
The bed’s two-layer design is more than capable of providing the support and comfort that couples need:
- The top layer is 3 inches of Vaya Comfort Foam, a material similar to memory foam in many ways. Vaya Comfort molds to you for pressure relief while absorbing movements to prevent your every motion from rippling across the mattress.
- The bottom layer is 9 inches of Vaya Base Foam, a dense material that’s sag-resistant. Vaya Base Foam supports you, limiting the pressure build-up that can come from muscle and joint strain.
You have 100 days to try out your Vaya Mattress from the day of delivery.
4. Purple® Mattress
If you’ve done any mattress research, you’ve surely heard of Purple®. Though a relatively new brand, they hit the ground running and have been growing in popularity ever since. Their beds are unique, however, they are not for everybody. Each Purple® mattress has its proprietary Purple Grid™, made with a hyper-elastic polymer. Hyper-Elastic Polymer is a stretchy, rubber-like material invented and patented by Purple’s® creators, Tony and Terry Pearce. They use another patented machine, called the Mattress Max, to fashion this material into mattress-size grids.
When they first opened, Purple® only sold their flagship mattress, Purple®, but has since expanded upon their collection to include hybrid models. When shopping with Purple®, we recommend going with their flagship bed with no innerspring coils. Below, we’ll discuss the layers of that model:
- The first layer of Purple’s® flagship bed, as well as the first layer of every Purple® mattress, is their Purple Grid™. In this model, this grid is 2 inches thick. There are a few key benefits to using this material instead of more traditional materials: it adapts to pressure points, prevents motion transfer, and promotes a cool sleeping environment. When designing this material, it was in hopes of creating the world’s first no-pressure surface. When you lay on this bed, the grid should collapse under your weight, but offer a more responsive, “lifting” feeling than foam. Because this material is fashioned in the shape of a grid, it calls for superb airflow through the bed.
- Next, is 3.25 inches of poly-foam, functioning as a transition layer between the grid above and the firm base below. Including this layer in the design of their mattress prevents you from sinking straight through their Purple Grid™ and bottoming out on the hard foam layer. You should not feel as if you’re sinking uncomfortably far into the mattress with the inclusion of this layer.
- The bottom layer of the Purple® mattress is 4 inches of high-density poly-foam. As you can guess, the function of the base is to offer structural support and give the bed its shape.
When you buy a Purple® mattress, it comes with a 100-night risk-free trial and a 10-year warranty, allowing you to try it at home and decide if it’s the most comfortable fit.
5. Avocado Green Mattress
Though this list has focused mainly on all-foam mattresses, we wanted to include a hybrid option for those who prefer a little bounce from their bed. We included the Avocado Green mattress to this list because not only is it a top-rated mattress, but it’s also one of the most eco-friendly mattresses on the market. If you’re searching for a “green” bed, look no further, as this bed has GOLS Organic certified Dunlop latex and GOTS Organic certified cotton and wool. The coils they use in this bed are made with recycled steel, too.
When you buy the Avocado Green bed, it comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 25-year warranty. Let’s dive into this mattress:
- The first layer of this mattress is 2 inches of all-natural Dunlop latex. Unlike memory foam, latex feels quite bouncy when you lay down on it, so it should prevent you from feeling as if you’re sinking too far into the mattress. Latex is also naturally cooling, and Avocado reinforces this materials breathability by adding pinholes throughout the layer.
- Next is 8 inches of pocketed coils fashioned into three distinct comfort zones; this layer offers targeted support and pressure relief for the sleeper.
Avocado backs their beds with a 25-year warranty, which is the longest warranty on our list.
Two Things to Think About
Buying a mattress for two people is not as overwhelming as you may believe. We suggest taking a step back and considering these two key things: individual comfort and motion isolation. Focusing on these points can help simplify your search.
1. Individual Comfort
If you’re sleeping on a mattress that isn’t suited for your specific sleep style or needs, it may seem impossible to get a restful, healthy night’s sleep. On top of that, an incompatible mattress may not support your spine the way it should, which can cause chronic pains. Before shopping, consider the level of comfort and support you need. Think about your favored sleep position. Do you spend most of the time sleeping on your stomach, back, or side? Then, think about how you feel when you wake up in the mornings. Do you find most mornings you’re rolling out of bed feeling achy or do you typically feel refreshed and ready for the day? If you find most mornings you’re dealing with backaches and pain, it’s a good sign that your current mattress is not the best fit for your body.
Next, consider your preference for firmness. Do you like a softer, cradling feel from your bed? Alternatively, do you prefer a firmer surface to sleep on? Everybody is different, but having an understanding of what you need from a bed can help narrow down your options and steer you towards the most compatible mattress for yourself.
While it may seem like a contradiction, knowing what is you need from a bed will make it easier in finding a mattress as a couple. If person A needs back support and cooling technology and person B needs enough cushion to sleep on their sides, now you know you are looking for a mattress that offers back support, cool-to-the-touch technology, while still having enough cushion for side sleepers.
2. Motion Isolation
A major concern when sharing a mattress is the risk of motion transfer. Simply put motion transfer is when motion moves from one side of the mattress to the other. So, say a person moves on the far left side (tossing and turning or getting up to use the restroom). If your mattress is bad at isolating that motion, there is a greater risk you’ll wake up in response.
Typically, all-foam beds, such as memory foam and latex foam, isolate motion while the best hybrid beds and innerspring beds tend to feel bouncier because they have a coil system. Recently, brands have been using pocketed coil systems in their beds in an effort to reduce motion transfer, but even pocketed coils aren’t comparable to the motion isolating abilities of foam.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best bed size for couples?
We recommend queen or king size mattresses for couples. Smaller bed sizes simply won’t provide the personal space that two people need for a good night’s rest. Most likely your movements or body heat will disturb your partner’s rest if the two of you share a mattress smaller than a queen.
What is the best mattress for motion transfer?
A memory foam mattress is one of the best beds for couples because the material absorbs shock at the point of impact. Other foams such as latex and poly-foam prevent motion transfer as well, but many customers consider memory foam the best material for motion isolation. If you want a bouncy bed, a hybrid mattress has its coils wrapped to reduce motion transfer, along with a thick foam top that can absorb the slightest shift you make.
What is the point of a box spring?
Traditionally, a box spring was used to make an innerspring mattress feel more supportive and comfortable. A box spring would also raise he bed’s height, making it easier for many to get in and out of bed.
Box springs have fallen out of favor because many modern mattresses feel supportive and comfortable on their own. You could damage a memory foam or hybrid mattress if you keep it on a box spring.
What is the point of a headboard?
A headboard has a greater purpose than just making your bed look nice. A headboard’s design keeps out cold drafts that could disturb your sleep, though this feature has become less necessary as home insulation has improved over the years. Some modern headboards have built-in shelves for lamps, books, and other items.
What is the best base for a mattress?
There’s no one best mattress base because everyone has different sleep needs and budget restrictions. A platform bed, wooden foundation, or traditional panel bed can suit most sleepers and mattresses. Couples may also want to consider an adjustable base, particularly if one partner snores or suffers from acid reflux.
Have You Found Your Next Bed?
We hope this article has helped you understand the key things to consider before investing in a new mattress. Remember, research online mattress blogs and read customer reviews when searching for the the most compatible mattress for you and your needs. There’s a wide variety of bed options on the market today, which can be overwhelming if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Stick to the basic guidelines we discussed in this article, and you’re ready to shop in confidence.
This article is for informational purposes and should not replace advice from your doctor or other medical professional.