Online mattress brands have changed the way people learn about and shop for beds. Before, mattress shopping consisted of driving store to store testing beds and dodging salesmen pushing to sell you the “most comfortable mattress on the market today.” Now, people can shop pressure-free from the comfort of their couch. However, online shopping for mattresses does have its pros and cons. How can you tell which bed is the best for you without trying it first? In this guide, we’ll discuss how to find the best online mattress and what to consider before clicking purchase.
|Amerisleep AS3||$1,399||12"||100 Nights||20 Years|
|Helix||$1,745||14"||100 Nights||10 Years|
|Purple||$999||9.5"||100 Nights||10 Years|
|Bear||$840||11"||100 Nights||10 Years|
|Casper||$1,195||12"||100 Nights||10 Years|
Five Best Online Mattresses to Buy Today
When you do a Google search for “best online mattress” it brings up dozens of mattress brands and models to read about and consider; so how do you sort the bad from the good? Below, we’ll list our five favorite brands right now and why we chose them for this list.
Amerisleep’s AS3 is our Editors’ favorite online mattress. Amerisleep makes and sells five different beds, each ranges in firmness and are built with varying sleepers in mind. When shopping with Amerisleep, they help you choose which one of their mattresses are most compatible with your sleep needs. Their AS3 is designed to be a true medium and offers an even balance of comfort and support.
Due to this bed’s enhanced versatility, it can contour to a variety of body types in many different sleep positions; for that reason, Amerisleep recommends this mattress to back, side, and combination sleepers alike. The Amerisleep AS3 is also the best mattress for couples with differing sleep styles and need to find a comfortable option for them both. It’s also great for those who share the bed with a restless sleeper, as the AS3 is excellent at isolating motion.
Below, we’ll look at the layers of this bed.
- Every Amerisleep mattress has a Celliant® cover designed to help keep you cool at night. Celliant® has been FDA determined to promote more restful sleep by keeping your body temperature regulated. At night, you naturally emit body heat while you sleep. The thermoreactive materials in Celliant® recycle the body heat you emit into infrared light. Your body then absorbs infrared light to increase local blood flow. Increased local blood flow should keep your body temperature regulated all night, preventing you from waking up overheated.
- The first layer of the AS3 is Amerisleep’s proprietary Bio-Pur® foam. This plant-based memory foam is soft to the touch and contours to your body to offer instant pressure relief when you lay down on this bed. Because this foam is plant-based, it’s thought to be healthier for both you and the environment. During the manufacturing process of this foam, Amerisleep replaces a large portion of petroleum oil with castor oil to reduce the chances of their beds off-gassing and to make the foam five times more breathable than traditional memory foam. The breathability of Bio-Pur® works in conjunction with the Celliant® cover to create a cooling sleeping environment.
- Next, is a zoned support layer of HIVE® technology. HIVE® technology has five support zones— the feet, hips, shoulders, neck, and head — to relieve pressure points and foster your spine’s natural curvature.
- The last layer of the AS3 is a layer of Amerisleep’s other proprietary foam, Bio-Core®. The base of the mattress should offer structural and edge support as well as prevent premature deterioration, and Bio-Core® is designed to do just that. This high-density foam helps prolong the lifespan of the mattress and maintain it’s comfort by offering exceptional support.
When you shop with Amerisleep, every mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and an extensive 20-year warranty. During your sleep trial, you have the opportunity to test the bed at home and decide if it’s the most comfortable bed for you. If you feel it’s not a good match, you have the opportunity to exchange it for a different model or return it for a full refund. Amerisleep offers free shipping in the continental United States, so the cost of a Queen AS3 is $1,399.
Helix is similar to Amerisleep in the regard that they make various mattress models all designed for specific sleepers in mind, and their business model is centered around helping you find the most comfortable mattress for your unique sleep needs. The Editors of Sleep Junkie chose to feature the Helix brand in this article because of their dedication to helping customers get the most restful and healthy sleep.
On the Helix website, you’re prompted to complete a sleep quiz that will ask you about your sleep style, body type, firmness preferences, aches and pains, and much more. After you complete the questionnaire, Helix gives you a personalized recommendation so you can easily find the best mattress on their site. When you buy your bed, it comes with a 100-night sleep trial, so you can test it out at home and decide if it’s the right fit. During this trial, Helix’s customer service team is available to help troubleshoot any discomfort and can even send you a mattress topper to help you further customize your bed.
Once you receive your recommendation, you have the option to choose your mattress in either a Standard or Luxe model. The Standard models have four layers and are 10 inches tall, while the Luxe models have 6 layers and are 14 inches tall. Below, we’ll break down the core components of a Helix Luxe bed.
- The cover of a Helix Luxe mattress is a quilted pillow top infused with cooling technologies to help prevent you from waking up hot at night.
- The first layer of the Luxe is gel-infused memory foam. When you lay on this layer, it should contour to your body to ease tension while the gel swirls of this layer helps dissipate heat out of the mattress and away from you while you sleep.
- Below, is a layer of Helix Dynamic Foam, designed to contour to your body’s curves and offer enhanced pressure relief. The firmness of these two top layers will vary depending on the mattress you’re recommended.
- Next, is a transition layer of high-density poly-foam. Including this layer in the mattress acts as a barrier between the coil system below and the memory foam layers above.
- In every Luxe mattress is a pocketed coil system designed to offer targeted pressure relief for your shoulders, hips, and spine. These coils also provide improved edge support for the perimeter of the mattress.
- The final layer of a Helix Luxe mattress is high-density poly-foam in place to offer support and durability for the layers of the bed above. This dense layer also gives the pocketed coil system a surface to bounce off from, adding to the responsiveness of this mattress.
When choosing a Helix mattress, we recommend selecting the Luxe alternative of your recommended model because it offers enhanced lumbar support and more sleep-promoting technologies.
Purple mattresses are unlike any other in the market because they’re designed to be the world’s first no-pressure mattress. The founders of Purple, brothers Tony and Terry Pearce, were well-versed in the cushioning industry, and even invented Floam™, before deciding to test their luck building and selling mattresses. When designing their first mattress, they chose to use their own unique cushioning material, hyper-elastic polymer. They fashioned this hyper-elastic polymer into a large grid shape and named it their Smart Comfort Grid™. Every Purple mattress uses this grid as the top layer, giving it a distinctive feeling in comparison to most any other mattress sold today.
Below, we’ll discuss the layers of this bed.
- The cover of the Purple mattress is a blend of polyester, viscose, and lycra, designed to feel thin, breathable, and soft. Lycra has stretchy properties, giving this cover a latex-like feel. It also helps wick moisture away and keeps you cool while you sleep.
- The first layer of the Purple mattress is their Smart Comfort Grid™, made with hyper-elastic polymer. When you lay on this bed, the Smart Comfort Grid™ should offer a springy or responsive feel while also collapsing under the weight of your body to relieve tension, this balance of comfort and support prevents you from feeling as if you’re sinking into the mattress. The grid-shape of this layer allows for enhanced airflow throughout the bed, too, preventing you from waking up hot.
- Below the Smart Comfort Grid is a layer of poly-foam, acting as a transition layer between the grid above and the dense core of the mattress below. Including this softer transition layer prevents you from sinking all the way through the grid above and bottoming out on the solid layer below.
- The final layer of the Purple mattress is strong poly-foam, in place to offer support to the rest of the bed. This layer gives the bed it’s overall structure and shape.
Every Purple mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty. If you decide during your sleep trial the Purple mattress isn’t for you, you have the option to return it for a full refund or exchange it for a different model. However, Purple only allows one exchange, so before you swap, make sure you’re confident in your next choice.
Bear makes mattresses with athletes in mind, putting a lot of emphasis on healthy, restorative rest and state on their website they design their mattresses to improve your sleep. This brand sells two mattresses, a hybrid model and an all-foam bed. Their main selling point is their use of Celliant® fabric. We discussed Celliant® earlier, as it’s also used in Amerisleep mattresses. Remember, Celliant® aids in improving your sleep by regulating your temperature throughout the night. Because it’s designed to prevent you from waking up uncomfortable during the night, it’s also thought to provide overall better sleep. When buying from Bear, we recommend choosing their all-foam mattress made with graphite gel-infused memory foam. Below, we’ll discuss the layers.
- The cover of the Bear mattress is Celliant® fabric, as we stated above. On their website, they also mention using Celliant® in their fabric to help with quick muscle recovery and improve your day-to-day performance.
- The first layer is cooling graphite-gel memory foam. Graphite gel is a newer cooling technology used in beds to help move heat away from your body while you sleep. When laying down on this layer, it should contour to your body and relieve pressure points as memory foam does; however, the graphite in this layer should prevent you from waking up hot.
- Next, are two layers of poly-foam, in place to act as one transition layer between the soft memory foam above and the dense core foam below. The poly-foam in this layer is designed to be responsive and offer a bouncy feeling, so it should prevent you from feeling as if you’re sinking too far down into memory foam.
- The bottom layer of the Bear mattress is dense poly-foam to give the bed structure and shape.
When you buy a Bear mattress, you have 100 nights to try it in your home after it’s been delivered. If you decide against keeping it, you can return it for a full refund or swap for their hybrid model. On the other hand, if the Bear is a match for you, it’s backed by a 10-year warranty.
Casper Sleep launched in 2014 and since their market debut has grown in relevance and popularity. When they first opened, they sold only their flagship mattress. Now, Casper sells three different mattresses and a variety of sleep accessories including nightstands, bed frames, sheets, duvets, glow lights, and they even make dog beds so your pooch can sleep soundly, too. This brand has been regarded as one of the best by a variety of publications including Architectural Digest and Time. If you’re thinking of shopping with Casper, we recommend choosing their original mattress, the Casper.
Below, we’ll talk about what’s inside their bed.
- The cover of the Casper mattress is a thin polyester blend, light and breathable.
- The first layer of this bed is latex-like foam designed to be more responsive than memory foam but still contour to your body to ease pressure and tension. * A common concern with memory foam is that it can trap heat and sleep hot. Casper reduces the chance of this happening but using this proprietary responsive foam as the first layer of their beds.
- The next layer is true memory foam, soft and contouring. By placing this layer below the layer of latex-like foam, you reap all the benefits of memory foam and avoid possible drawbacks to it, such as off-gassing or sleeping hot.
- Below is a layer of zoned support poly-foam, where your body needs more support this foam is firmer and where you want more comfort this foam is softer.
- The base of the Casper is strong poly-foam to prevent premature deterioration.
Every Casper mattress comes with a generous sleep trial of 100 nights and a 10-year warranty protecting you from damage later on down the line.
What to Consider Before Buying
Before clicking purchase, there are a few things to think about and consider to make sure you find a comfortable mattress for yourself, including aches and pains you frequently experience, your favored sleep style, if you share the bed with someone, as well as your budget. Having an idea of what you’re looking for before you buy can drastically narrow down your options and prevent buying and returning. Though sleep trials are helpful, it’s disappointing when the mattress you thought would fix your sleep needs doesn’t work out, putting you back at square one. During your search, reference mattress reviews and other online guides to help you make the most educated decision.